2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon matcha tea powder
1 prepared 9-inch graham cracker crust
Lemon zest curls for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, and matcha tea powder. Beat on medium-high until fluffy and well blended. Reduce speed to medium and add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended.
- Pour filling into crust and bake until edges are set but there is still a slight wobble in the middle, about 40 minutes.
- Let cool completely at room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Garnish with lemon zest and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, cut into thin rings
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 bunch kale (about 8 cups,) removed from ribs then torn into bite-sized pieces
- 5 pitted Medjool dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup Marcona almonds (or sliced almonds)
- 2 Tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
- For the Maple-Almond Vinaigrette:
- 2 Tablespoons almond butter (or tahini)
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon real maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Combine ingredients for the vinaigrette in a jar with a tight fitting lid then shake to combine and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots then fry until golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain then sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium then add bacon to skillet and cook until browned and crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain then set aside. Remove all but 2 teaspoons bacon grease from the skillet.
- Add kale, dates, and almonds then saute for 30 seconds. Add vinaigrette and then toss until just coated. Divide kale between two plates then top with reserved bacon, crispy shallots, and parmesan cheese.
- Rinse basil and slice strawberries, then add to an airtight container.
- Add chia seeds to the container with about 24 ounces of filtered water and cover with the lid.
- Let sit overnight or until the chia seeds have expanded.
- Pour and enjoy!
7 Roma tomatoes
2/3 onion, divided
2 green chiles, seedless
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon beef bouillon powder
3 ribeye steaks
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 pkg. mozzarella or asadero cheese
12 corn tortillas
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Worcester Sauce
Lime juice from 2 or 3 limes, plus more for serving
Finely chopped cilantro, to taste
Salt, black pepper, and fajita seasoning
- Fresh Salsa: Dice 3 tomatoes, 1/3 onion, and 1 green chile. Mix together, adding salt, olive oil, pepper, cilantro, and lime juice. Refrigerate until serving.
- Roasted Salsa: Place 4 tomatoes and 1 green chile on a baking sheet and broil, turning once, until slightly blackened. Blend together tomatoes and green chile, garlic clove, and 1/3 onion, salt, and bouillon.
- Steak Volcano: Rub steak with salt, pepper, fajita seasoning, and Worcester Sauce. Grill over medium-high heat, turning once, steak is cooked. Meanwhile, add cheese to tortillas and grill until cheese is melted and tortillas are lightly charred. Cut steak into small pieces and place on top of tortilla; serving with warm roasted salsa, fresh salsa, and limes, if desired. Serve immediately, refrigerate leftovers.
1/2 cup water
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 tsp. table salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp. grated lemon zest
2 large eggs
Nonstick cooking spray
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat a waffle iron. Meanwhile, make the batter by combining the water, butter, and salt in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until butter is melted.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add all the flour at once, followed by the nutmeg and lemon zest. Beat vigorously with the spoon; cook for 1 minute, Remove the pan from heat; let cool 5 minutes. Thoroughly beat in the eggs, once a time. The finished dough will be pasty and tacky.
- Grease the hot waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the dough (this will expand a lot as it cooks) on each section of the iron. Close and cook until the churros are golden brown on the outside, about 5 minutes. While cooking churros, combine sugar and cinnamon. Immediately after removing the cooked churros from the iron, brush their top sides with melted butter and sprinkle them with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- You can keep the cooked churros in a warm (less than 200ºF) oven on a baking sheet for about one hour. They are best eaten shortly after they’re made. Refrigerate any leftovers.
4 Bolillo rolls (Mexican white bread)
2 cups butermilk
8oz margarine or butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 Tablespoon nutmeg
1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon
Place the chunked bolillo rolls in a medium bowl, pour the milk , add the cinnamon, and nutmeg and let them soak for ten minutes. Add the eggs, the spread, and the sugar. Mix all ingredients with a wooden paddle to a smooth and creamy paste. Preheat oven to 230F. Grease a baking pan and pour the mixture. Bake for 23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Here comes the sun, the Summer, and Father’s Day; so you can celebrate them with this easy quiche for a light supper.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll out pastry on floured surface to 13×9-inch rectangle. Fold over about 1/2-inch-wide strip from all 4 sides. Brush strips on 1 side with some of beaten egg, then press strips, egg side down, onto edges of pastry to adhere, forming raised border. Brush border with egg; reserve remaining beaten egg. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet prick crust all over with a fork. Chill while preparing filling.
Meanwhile , combine ricotta, lemon zest, parsley, Asiago, and carpers in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Steam asparagus just until crisp tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl of ice water to cool. Drain.
Add remaining beaten egg, ricotta mixture. Spread mixture evenly over pastry. Sprinkle with Asiago. Line asparagus across filling.
Bake tart until filling is set and pastry is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.