- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, cut into thin rings
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 bunch kale (about 8 cups,) removed from ribs then torn into bite-sized pieces
- 5 pitted Medjool dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup Marcona almonds (or sliced almonds)
- 2 Tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
- For the Maple-Almond Vinaigrette:
- 2 Tablespoons almond butter (or tahini)
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon real maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Combine ingredients for the vinaigrette in a jar with a tight fitting lid then shake to combine and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots then fry until golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain then sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium then add bacon to skillet and cook until browned and crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain then set aside. Remove all but 2 teaspoons bacon grease from the skillet.
- Add kale, dates, and almonds then saute for 30 seconds. Add vinaigrette and then toss until just coated. Divide kale between two plates then top with reserved bacon, crispy shallots, and parmesan cheese.