- 2 (14-oz) bags shredded, sweetened coconut
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 (14-oz) can sweetened, condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread coconut evenly across 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. Toast until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times to prevent burning. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Combine toasted coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a bowl. Stir in ingredients for 1 flavor option (see choices in Cook’s Note below). Note: If making Lemon-Strawberry, add lemon zest only and reserve jam.
- Fold egg whites into coconut mixture. Wet hands (to help keep mixture from sticking) and form into about 30 mounds, golf-ball size or slightly larger. Place on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. If using jam, make an indentation in middle of each mound with your finger and spoon about 1 tsp jam into centers.
- Bake until browned and crisp-edged, about 20 minutes. Let cool on a rack.
•2½ tsp ground cardamom
•1 heaping Tbsp finely grated orange zest
•1½ Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
3. Triple Ginger
•2 tsp ground ginger
•1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
•¼ cup minced crystallized ginger