- 1 apple, peeled and divided: ½ diced and ½ thinly sliced
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup 1% milk, (see tip below)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp apple cider
- ½ tsp cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 8 Tbsp peanut butter, divided
- Honey, for drizzling (optional)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Make apple syrup: Combine diced apple, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer; lower heat so syrup bubbles gently and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat. (Make it ahead: Refrigerate syrup and serve it warm or chilled the next day.)
- Meanwhile, beat milk with eggs, apple cider, cinnamon, vanilla, ground ginger, and a big pinch of salt in a measuring cup. Pour into a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- Spread 4 slices bread with 2 Tbsp peanut butter each. Top each with thinly sliced apple; drizzle apple with honey (if desired) and sprinkle with cinnamon. Sandwich with remaining 4 slices bread and press together.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Working 2 sandwiches at a time, soak sandwiches in milk mixture on each side, letting excess drip off. Cook in skillet about 6 minutes for each side, until browned and warmed through. Cut into halves, if desired. Serve with apple syrup.
Serves 4-6. Per serving: 390 cal, 49g carbs, 15g protein, 17g fat, 100mg chol, 400mg sodium, 4g fiber = 11 Weight Watchers Pointplus Value (3 points per serving)
Recipe from Dash Magazine