- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- Kosher salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken, turkey, or vegetable broth (homemade or reduced-sodium canned)
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, sliced
- ½ lb ground turkey
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp milk (or water)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Make soup: Warm oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, garlic, ½ tsp salt, and red pepper flakes and sauté, stirring, until vegetables begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in broth, scraping up any bits stuck to bottom of pot. Cover pot and simmer until carrots are tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make meatballs: Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, and roll into 1-inch balls, spreading them out on a platter. 3. Puree soup in a blender, or with an immersion blender, until smooth. If using blender, return soup to pot. Bring to a simmer. Add meatballs and let simmer until meatballs are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add spinach and simmer until wilted, about 1 minute. Season servings with salt and pepper to taste.